Apps4Learning provides students with the opportunity to cross-collaborate on an initiative to build educational apps that complement the school curriculum. High school students collaborate with elementary school students to develop, design and create an app that is curriculum based. The elementary students are the clients who create the app idea, company name and logo, while the high school students are responsible for app development and programming.
We recruit coding professionals to be mentors for the high school classes participating in the program. Throughout the semester, mentors visit the high school class they are working with to help them through the product development cycle.
Apps4Learning learning goals include:
- An increase in students digital technical skills and information processing skills
- Development of critical thinking, communication, collaboration and creative thinking skills
- Preparation for the digital economy
- A direct link with industry and education through continued partnerships
- Support in the development of 21st century learning skills
- Career empowerment
Here's what a mentor who has participated in the Apps4Learning program had to say:
"Apps4Learning allows students to explore a real world career path in tech. Through just a few shorts months, I saw some students who had no concept of app development or managing clients deal with the hardships of product development, software lifecycle and meeting deadlines. I think these are skills that any student will be glad to pick up. These are skills that any employer going forward will desire as they are part of the key skills to success in life."
Volunteers in this program will:
- Participate in a volunteer orientation in early January
- Visit their assigned high school class (typically around 3 times) over February - May
- Be invited to attend the App Launch Celebration towards the end of the school year (late May / early June)
If you are a teacher interested in participating, or a local professional/company interested in being involved as a mentor, contact us.
|A special thanks to SAP for their ongoing support of Apps4Learning